Saturday, October 10, 2015

What I Have Learned From Chiaroscuro

I was nearly all self-taught.  I read many books from the library on different artist's methods, so I had picked up a little of the 5-value system but had no idea it had a name... or how to pronounce it before taking a class on Chiaroscuro.  It is an Italian word, I believe, from the Renaissance meaning light and dark.  I think my vocabulary has improved as much as my technical skills.  
I used charcoal before decades ago but never heard of vine charcoal.  What a revelation.  Vine charcoal is extremely soft and can be nearly erased away by wiping it with a cloth or using a kneaded-gum eraser.  I always resisted charcoal because of the mess and what I thought was a lack of control.  Now I see certain merits in it and even feel I could complete frame-able art pieces with it. 
Believe it or not, I think my favorite part was the fabric drape exercise.  I could use plenty more weeks just playing with the shadows and folds fabric makes when draped over things or on things.  I loved drawing from the plaster head model more than the torso model.  Somehow, the torso gave me the most problems. 
My biggest frustration is my own tendency to deviate from the actual set-up and put in what I think should be there instead of what I see is there.  Even now, I see myself doing it.  It's a hard habit to resist.  I also find I have to rest between stages more because my hand begins to cramp.  Either carpel tunnel is setting in or I am holding the charcoal pencils wrong/too tightly.  I would work on for hours at a time if this didn't slow me down.  However, even this annoyance is not a bad problem since it forces me to stand back periodically and "see" how I am doing structurally.

Seeing your work through someone else's eyes is helpful.  Thanks to everyone who leaves comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment