Sunday, October 18, 2015

3 Interesting Things I Have Discovered

First: I am beginning to build up my children’s book library and get very excited when I have a few dollars to buy a couple more books.  Today, three more arrived in the mail and I just sat here reading and turning the pages like an excited 6 year old.  Perhaps I never really grew up inside, or perhaps I can appreciate the dedication, work and tears that went into each book and each illustration.  My husband came in and caught me laughing out loud at Click, Clack, Moo, Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin.  The story is about cows that find an old typewriter and decide to leave a typed note for the farmer that their barn is cold at night and they demand electric blankets, or else no more milk.  That is absolutely genius.  I wish I had thought of it.


Second:  I love to read right before bed.  It is relaxing and calming (usually) depending on my reading choice.  I don’t read long; just about half an hour and a few pages.  However, in this way I have read hundreds of books.  Biographies, mysteries, historical novels, YA novels, fantasy and sci-fi.  When people tell me that they don’t have time to read, I usually think that I don’t either, but I manage to read about a 60 to 70 books each year.  It adds up and keeps me sharp.  I read all of the Mocking Jay series before the movies came out.  I was able to know whether I would love or hate the movie before I ever went.  It keeps me up on what is new and what is old but favored.  Sometimes I will tackle books I always wanted to read but never found the time before.  Right now I’m reading through all of Maya Angelou’s biography books.  They are fascinating and enlightening.


Third:  For those who wonder if great and lasting friendships can be made in online schools, I can say, amazingly yes.  This week I had a friend who writes me regularly tell me about the loss of her son.  I have never met her in person, but we have been close friends for 4 years now, having met at in an online school class.  When she was expecting her first child three years ago, I knitted and sent her a baby blanket.  She always remembers my birthday and I remember hers.  She even sends me a sweet message on Mother’s Day each year.  Isn’t that sweet?  This past month has been very hard for her.  She was expecting her second child, a boy this time, and I sent her another baby blanket and some booties.  Her due date came and her son was stillborn.  The tragedy has hit me harder than I would have expected.  I mean, I never even met her before, but I love her just the same.  I feel like I am grieving with her.  Online friendships are much deeper than you would think.  We have worked at it, never letting too much time go by between letters/emails.  Still, it is amazing what can be accomplished even long distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment