Saturday, August 16, 2014

Frosting

I have been reading the biography of Jim Henson the creator of the Muppets.  It is a fascinating journey he took and a fascinating biography to read.  He initially just wanted to get on the new technology, Television.  When an opening came up for a puppeteer, he read a couple books on them, made a quick handmade hand puppet and showed up for the audition.  The rest is, as they say, history.  He, sort of, fell into it.  Sometimes I think that success in art isn’t about talent as much as it is being in the right place at the right time.  Of course, he had tons of talent, and that can’t hurt.  It’s like the Georgia O’Keeffe story, where Alfred Stieglitz just happened to see her work and display it in his gallery, then fall in love with her and promote her work.  The right place, the right time.  Does that mean, then that there are (and were) tons of talented people who just didn’t happen to be in the right place at the right time and never achieved any measure of success?  No, I don’t think so. 


I think there is a divine plan and we are all part of it.  There are no accidents.  There are struggles and sometimes sorrows, but not forever.  I think we make our own success by working hard and helping others do the same.  I think we creatives, are the frosting on the cake of life and the loss of even one of us diminishes the lives and enjoyment of all of us.  I think in my small circle of acquaintances, friends and family, I have a place and a purpose, and a bit of frosting to impart to all around me.  So the question is, have you been frosting your bit of the universe lately?  Your creative ability, whether it is flower arranging, photography, painting, sculpting, cake making, pastry baking, interior decorating, architecture or dentistry, is necessary to the joy of life for so many.  Frost on, my friends.  Frost on.

No comments:

Post a Comment