Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Why look at other artist's art?

Alice in Wonderland, Collage by Denise McGill
I think that looking at the artwork of other professionals in the business does sway my work slightly for several reasons.

One is that I keep up with what is actually popular in my field right now.  Not that I want to cater only to what sells, but I do want to know what children are seeing, what parents are currently buying for their children and what direction the medium is taking.  It makes a difference in the way I approach publishers and the way I execute my own illustrations.

Red Riding Hood, Collage by Denise McGill
Second is that I want to be challenged by what the professionals are doing.  Looking at the work of artists I admire keeps me striving to get better at my own craft.  It causes me to not be satisfied with what I’m doing now.  I like to think that I have to be better tomorrow than I am today and to do that, I have to keep reaching for a higher goal.  I have to keep studying, watching tutorials, and looking for new ways to approach my work.

Old Boots, Collage by Denise McGill
Third is just the enjoyment of others work: the colors other artists are choosing as opposed to mine; the lines they use or don’t use; the perspective and the point of view they use.  I never look at another artist’s work without thinking somewhere in the back of my mind, “how can I do that with my work?”  It’s just fun to look at what is out there as opposed to my style and my work.  I enjoy it.

Keep growing, keep improving, keep learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment