Saturday, November 29, 2014

After Thanksgiving



Now that the Thanksgiving holiday has passed, it is time to think of the future:  Christmas, winter, the New Year.  Besides decorating and shopping, this time of year I like to buy a new weekly calendar and plan my goals for the following year.  I feel like unless I make time for things on purpose, I will never get around to it.  It seems like mundane chores and just living gets in the way of doing the things I really want to do.  I want to make time on purpose to create, to paint, to explore new mediums and to work on book ideas.  How can I squeeze those things in if I don’t do it on purpose?


I decide first how many things I would like to accomplish and I usually think conservatively.  For example I’d like to paint 36 new paintings next year, that works out to 3 paintings per month.  However I know that, although that would be lovely, I just won’t be able to carve out that much time for painting.  So conservatively I’d like to paint 12 new paintings; one per month is more manageable.  Also I’d like to complete 3 new books next year, but I will be happy if I can complete and self-publish one new one.  Books are time consuming if you want to do it right and make sure there are no errors before you go to press.

What do you want to do with your year?  Is there purpose to your planning?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment