Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Cryptic Quotes

Paint the way a bird sings.   Claude Monet
"Hummingbird Angel" Watercolor on wrinkled paper, 23" x 30"

What does that mean?  Paint the way a bird sings… in the open air?  But birds also sing in captivity.  Paint the way a bird sings… happy and carefree?  Maybe.  But I find most artists create from a place of real suffering and drive… that seems very little like “happy and carefree”, don’t you think?  Paint the way a bird sings, just because he feels like it?  I don’t know about that either.  Much of the time, I don’t really feel in the mood but once I begin painting and creating, it begins to take over and flow out of me.   So for me, the mood doesn’t make the painting, the painting makes the mood.  Paint the way a bird sings, out of sight, out of reach, but still noticeable?  Maybe.  I love the seclusion of art.  I love creating behind closed doors and away from prying eyes, constant critics, and the mundane of the horrific national news.  I love that it can carry me away to heights and places no one else can go.  Maybe that’s what Monet meant.  But who knows.  Sometimes I think artists are cryptic on purpose just to keep people off balance.


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment