Friday, December 9, 2016

100 Days of Children's Faces

After the exercise of 100 days of drawing hands, one each day, and then 100 days of drawing feet, one each day, I decided the next weakness in my education and experience was children’s faces.  After all how can I decide to become a children’s book illustrator if my drawing of children’s faces isn’t stellar?  It was a good challenge.  I draw one per day for 100 days in charcoal on toned paper and see how strong I can make my vision of all the nuances of children’s faces.


Children’s faces aren’t the same as adults at all.  The necks are much shorter and almost non-existent in infants.  Their cheeks are fuller and there should be no hard lines around the nose and mouth simply because drawing those folds makes the child look old.  Their eyes are larger and placed slightly lower in the face as if they have more forehead and brain than adults.


I learned that I can’t rush this process.  Some of these took only about 15 minutes and others I struggled with for half an hour or more.  The more I wanted to finish fast the worst the outcome.  Naturally.  Sounds about right.  Isn’t that what happens when you rush anything worthwhile?   I also learned that a good photo with good shadow shapes is essential to making a good drawing.  Using photos taken in the shade, under a tree, or with a flash makes for an awful drawing.



By the time I got to 80 faces I so wanted to quit but I just wouldn’t let myself.  I did take a day or two off here and there but I refuse to quit.  I am now at day 95 and soon will be done with my 100 days of children.  I love children’s faces.  I may just spend another 100 days on children for the fun of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment