Thursday, September 24, 2015

Three New Things

I have discovered three new things about myself and the way I work.

First, I always thought I work better in the morning when I am first up and fresh, but lately I’ve noticed that though I start first thing, by noon I've hit a stride and I get some great ideas just after noon.  I don't think this means I'll change my routine, because obviously, there is something to starting early and then hitting a stride.  It is just a revelation I never really noticed before.

Second, working on collages this summer made me realize that although I was eager to do some work for "myself" I found it hard to jump in.  I sometimes have to search through my files of saved inspirational photos just to get in the mood to work on my own work.  What that means now is that I was happy for jobs to begin again so that I could continue on my projects that are half done but have direction already.  I want to see a completion on them. 

Third, is that this week I noticed how much I appreciate the diversion of writing.  After spending hours on my visual work, I like to take a break.  Without realizing it I begin writing; anything and everything, little articles for online sites, blog posts, artist's biographies, etc.  There is something about writing that gives me a diversion from the visual and allows me to "clear my head" so that when I go back to the drawings, I feel fresh and ready to begin again.  It doesn't make sense really.  I do think we all need little diversions though.  Some people like to take a walk; I like to write.



No comments:

Post a Comment