Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Elderly Editorial

This was an editorial illustration used to show "I carry every mistake I ever made with me."  I felt this lady's hands showed her whole life, her loves, her widowhood, her children and all the work she ever did.  Notice the arthritis in the joints already bending the fingers, which have worked all her life.  To me this was her life written in her hands. Hands are very expressive.  After to a person's face, the hands hold the most expression and emotion.  There is something beautiful about this lady's hands that I have been intrigued with.  I'm not even sure why her hands fascinate me so.  Is it the way her ring slides to one side?  Is it the veins that look green through the paper-thin skin?  Is it the long nails signifying her lack of physical labor now in her latter years?  Maybe all these things together.  Maybe also it is that I knew her and know that one day some despicable teenager ran into her home and ran out with her purse before she could even scream.  The following week her grown children decided she couldn't live alone anymore and they put her in a home.  That cruel thief stole more than her purse that day.  He stole what was left of her freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment