Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What is most important?

I read a great book recently called Coast to Coast with a Cat and a Ghost.  Long name but very descriptive.  It is about the dear lady who just lost her husband to cancer.  She decides to drive from California to Florida in her motorhome for Thanksgiving to visit a friend there.  It just sounds like something I would do.  She takes some of her husbands clothes and sews them together, stuffs them, sews a head and even attaches one of her husband’s caps and sunglasses to the head.  She puts him in the passenger seat so she won’t look and feel like she is all alone.  However she begins to hear her husband’s voice in her head and even at one point, yells at the doll as if he were her husband.  She made me laugh over and over again, reliving their married life together while stopping to see sights all along the way.

A book like that makes a person look around and see what they have and what they might miss if something bad like death should happen.  I would miss my husband terribly.  He has become my best friend and confidant.  He understands me so well that he knows what I am thinking most of the time, even when I haven't said a word.  Yet I know that no one is getting out of this life alive.  We had a long talk about what we would like if one of goes first.  This is very important.  We both have family who may not understand what we want.  We decided to write these things down while we are both aware enough.  Things like do we want to live indefinitely on life support; or to cremation vs. burial.


Have you thought about what you might want?  Have you written any of it down?  Maybe you should.

This is my drawing of my dear honey.  He is such a great writer that I feel embarrassed to be pretending to write.  Yet I know that writing is about putting your thoughts down and everyone has thoughts.  He just has a way of saying things that is so genius.  You can tell, I'm not biased.  

No comments:

Post a Comment